At St. Mary Magdalene we truly enjoy spending time together. We take every opportunity we can to socialize and are delighted to welcome others to join in the fun. We listen, we talk, we catch up, we get to know each other a little more. And what better way to do that than to gather around food? We have some great cooks in our Church and some even better eaters. Here is just a sampling of our regularly scheduled events:
- Men’s Prayer Breakfast – monthly gathering at a local restaurant. Visitors from other parishes and denominations most always attend.
- Monthly potluck luncheons for our Magdalenas (our ladies group) where we eat, plan church activities and socialize. Visitors from other parishes and denominations attend.
- Coffee and pastries after our Sunday services – almost everyone stays for munchies and conversation.
- Shrove Tuesday pancake supper complete with local maple syrup to mark the start of the Lenten season.
- Tenebrae “simple mean” (bread, cold cuts, cheese) on Maundy Thursday, followed by a service.
- Easter Sunday – flowering cross on which we place flowers in memory of loved ones and to praise God
- The annual Sugar Plum Tea and Bake Sale, complete with Grandma’s Cupboard (preserves and candy) and a silent auction, is a Christmastime tradition for ourselves and County residents.
- Potluck luncheons for Vestry, just to get together and always to celebrate the Feast of St. Mary Magdalene.
- Last, but not least, anytime there’s an opportunity to celebrate something, we do, whether it be to say thank you or mark a special occasion.
Of course, not everything can involve food. To make sure we stay in touch, we also have:
- Weekly and monthly calendars of events which are issued by the church office.
- Reminders and notices which are emailed out frequently.
- A periodic newsletter, The Vine, produced and distributed by our members.
In time of need, we offer:
- A greeting card ministry that sends cards to our church family members and others who are ill or bereaved.
- Lifts to church and medical appointments for congregants who require transportation
- Catering for funeral receptions for our parishioners and their extended families by a team of our ladies.